The Christchurch Greyhound Racing Club was incorporated in 1948. The club was the off shoot of the Christchurch Coursing Club which raced at various venues since 1879 including Hagley Park, Wigram Aerodrome and the Christchurch City Abbatoir's holding paddocks in Factory Road (later renamed Waterloo Road), Sockburn. The Waterloo Cup was the most sought after coursing trophy of its time.
The club raced as the Canterbury Greyhound Racing Club for a period at Athletic Park and Wildwood Park before reverting back to its original name at Marshland Domain in 1956. The club moved from Marshland Domain to Queen Elizabeth II Park in 1975 then to its present home at Addington Raceway in 1997.
Significant dates in Club's History
- First Equalisator Meeting: 19 August 1972
- First On Course Tote Meeting: 19 October 1978
- First T.A.B. Meeting: 18 February 1981
- Last On Course Only Tote Meeting: 7 January 1989
- Last Meeting Marshland Domain: 12 July 1975
- First Meeting Q.E.II Park: 29 December 1975
- Last Meeting Q.E.II Park: 9 October 1997
- First Meeting Addington Raceway: 29 October 1997
- First New Zealand $100,000 Race - New Zealand Cup 15 November 2007
- $250,000 Platinum Paws 17 October 2008